How to apply to HHS as a student

Whether you are on a career path or in the process of determining which career you would like to pursue, HHS has numerous opportunities for high school and college/university students of all academic disciplines and levels. Many of these opportunities provide invaluable experiences.

  • The Internship Program is for high school and college students in search of an internship or other opportunity to gain work experience while in school. The program is designed to provide students who are enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore federal careers while still in school. Students who successfully complete the program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent job in the civil service. Explore available internship opportunities. 

    Student Summer Employment – Pathways Interns

    The Student Summer Employment provides training and work experience for individuals during summer months. The work ranges from office support trades to positions in professional fields.


    Students must meet the following eligibility requirements to participate in the Student Summer Employment:

    Enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a diploma, certificate, or degree-seeking student. Verification showing enrollment status is required from the school.

    Meet the minimum age required by federal, state, or local laws and standards governing the employment of minors.

    Taking or scheduled to take a course load at least half-time in an accredited high school, technical, or vocational school, 2-year or 4-year college or university, graduate, or professional school.

    Pay and Benefits

    Students in the Pathways receive a competitive salary but are not eligible for federal benefits.

    How to Apply

    Student summer employment opportunities are announced January through March of each year. Explore the opportunities on the job search page. 

    Required Documentation

    You must include the following documentation with your application, otherwise you may be disqualified during the application process:

  • The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program offers students work experience in various occupations during the academic year and/or summer months. The program exposes students to a wide range of opportunities, including public health careers. Students may also be allowed to earn academic credit for their work assignments (at the school’s discretion).


    To be eligible for the work study program, students must be enrolled in an accredited college and must have received the federally-sponsored college work-study award through their academic institution. The academic institution determines the students’ eligibility and the conditions of their employment.

    Applicants may need to pass a background investigation by the agency’s security office.  Applicants NOT born U.S. Citizens, or who later became citizens, must provide proof of U.S. citizenship. Applicants must provide a copy of their Naturalization Certificate, passport, visa, or green card/permanent resident card. Applicants born abroad as U.S. Citizens (military-related) must provide a copy of their birth certificate. International students attending accredited schools in the U.S. are eligible to participate with valid proof of Lawful Permanent Residency (LPR) status, or a student visa approved by the school.

    Pay and Benefits 

    Students receive an hourly wage paid by their academic institution, and HHS reimburses the academic institution for our portion of the students’ earnings. The academic institution determines the students’ pay rate, and students are not eligible for federal benefits.

    How to Apply

    Students should contact their respective FWS Coordinator to determine if your academic institution is an educational partner with agencies within HHS. If your academic institution is a partner, your FWS Coordinator will provide information on available work-study opportunities.

    If your academic institution is not currently a partner, please ask your FWS Coordinator to contact the FWS Program Manager and provide their name and contact information (school name, title, email address, and phone number) to the HR Customer Service Center.

  • The Student Volunteer Program provides for a supervised, structured educational program that integrates classroom learning with productive work experience in a field related to the student’s academic majors or career goals. This non-paid internship program allows students to gain first-hand knowledge and experience of theories taught in the classroom.


    The student must meet the following requirements:

    • Be a U.S. citizen;

    • Be at least 16 years of age;

    • Be enrolled at least half-time in a high school, vocational technical school, an accredited educational institution of higher learning (college/university), or a certificate program.

    How to Apply

    If you are a student who is interested in becoming a student volunteer with HHS, please contact the individual agencies or departments you want to volunteer with. You should also visit your school’s guidance office, career counseling, placement, or internship office for further information.

Content last reviewed on  
This is archived HHS content.