How do I file a civil rights complaint?

If you believe you have been discriminated against because of:

  • race,
  • color,
  • national origin,
  • age,
  • sex,
  • disability, or
  • religion

by an HHS entity  or by a recipent of federal financial assistance such as:

  • state and local social and health services agencies,
  • hospitals,
  • clinics,
  • nursing homes,
  • insurers who are participating in Marketplaces and receiving premium tax credits, or
  • other entities receiving federal financial assistance from HHS providers

you or your representative may file a complaint with OCR. Discrimination complaints against a state or local health or social services agency on the basis of disability may also be filed with OCR.

Find out how to file a civil rights complaint.

Content created by Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
Content last reviewed on November 18, 2015