What qualifies as "Federal financial assistance" for purposes of civil rights complaints handled by OCR?
The following are recipients of federal financial assistance from HHS:
- Health care providers participating in CHIP and Medicaid programs
- Hospitals and nursing homes (recipients under Medicare Part A)
- Medicare Advantage Plans (e.g., HMOs and PPOs) (recipients under Medicare Part C)
- Prescription Drug Plan sponsors and Medicare Advantage Drug Plans (recipients under Medicare Part D)
- Human or social service agencies
- Insurers who are participating in the Marketplaces and receiving premium tax credits.
As recipients of federal financial assistance, these entities are subject to the nondiscrimination requirements under Title VI and its implementing regulations.