Top 10 FAQs

1. Where can I find a doctor that accepts Medicare and Medicaid?

To find a doctor that accepts Medicare payments, you can visit and use the Care Compare tool. You can search by street address, city, state, ZIP code, type of provider and doctor's name or the name of a practice or facility.

To find a doctor that accepts Medicaid, you can contact your health plan or the Medicaid agency in your state.

2. How do I get a replacement Medicare card?

You can request a replacement red, white, and blue Medicare card online using your personal Social Security account. Social Security will mail your replacement card within about 30 days to the address they have on file. You can also print an official copy of your card from your secure Medicare account.

3. Who’s eligible for Medicaid?

In all states, Medicaid gives health coverage to some individuals and families, including children, parents, pregnant women, elderly people with certain incomes, and people with disabilities. In some states, the program also covers other adults below a certain income level.

4. What’s the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?

Medicare is federal health insurance for anyone age 65 and older, and some people under 65 with certain disabilities or conditions. Medicaid is a joint federal and state program that gives health coverage to some people with limited income and resources.

5. Does Medicaid cover dental care?

Federal law requires states to cover dental services for people with Medicaid under the age of 21. However, states can choose whether to provide benefits to people with Medicaid who are 21 and older.

6. How can I complain about poor medical care I received in a hospital?

Bring your complaints first to your doctor and nurses. If you have Medicare, you can file a complaint with your State's Quality Improvement Organization. Talk to your hospital social worker if you believe you are not ready for discharge from the hospital. Billing complaints should be discussed with the hospital or Medicare carrier.

7. At what age can a child legally be left alone to care for themselves?

State child abuse and neglect reporting laws do not specify the age at which a child can be left home alone. You may want to contact your local police department or child protective services agency for information about specific local regulations or ordinances.

8. What is the difference between Salmonella and E. coli?

Salmonella and E. coli are different types of bacteria. Salmonella occurs in raw poultry, eggs, beef, and sometimes on unwashed fruit and vegetables. You can get E. coli infections by eating foods containing the bacteria.

9. Where can I find information about HIPAA, health information privacy or security rules?

The following materials are found on the Office for Civil Rights website and are available to assist patients and families in understanding HIPAA privacy rights and procedures.

10. What is the Medicaid program?

Medicaid is a health coverage assistance program for children, adults, pregnant women, people with disabilities, and seniors who qualify due to low income or other criteria.