Hepatitis C Medicaid Affinity Group: New Resources Available!
The HHS Office of Assistant Secretary for Health, Office of Infectious Disease and HIV/AIDS Policy (OIDP) launched the Hepatitis C Medicaid Affinity Group (Affinity Group) in 2018. A total of 18 states have participated in the Affinity Group with representatives from Medicaid, public health, behavioral health, and correctional agencies working collaboratively to improve access to HCV screening and treatment.
Resources developed under the Affinity Group are now accessible online to share innovations and assist states in implementing their own HCV strategies. These include:
- Presentations from states and subject matter experts grouped by the following categories: Using Data to Inform Policy; Making Direct Acting Antivirals (DAAs) Affordable; Removing Structural Barriers to DAAs; Enhancing Provider Capacity for Testing and Treatment; and Targeting At-Risk Populations. Additional presentations will continue to be posted in the coming weeks and months.
- Case studies on two states that have implemented innovative HCV-related strategies: one describes Wisconsin’s robust data infrastructure, which has facilitated data sharing across multiple state agencies and the creation of HCV care cascades; another discusses Louisiana’s modified prescription payment model and extensive outreach efforts to increase HCV treatment.
- An evaluation of the first two years of the Affinity Group, which provides an overview of how well states achieved their goals as well as state engagement and satisfaction with Affinity Group activities.
- Fact sheets that address specific HCV-related topics, including identifying in Medicaid claims people who inject drugs and Medicaid payment policy. Additional fact sheets will continue to be posted in the coming months.
- Links to external resources related to HCV guidelines, provider training, data tools, and payment models.
For more information about Medicaid Prevention Initiatives and Affinity Groups, please visit https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/benefits/prevention/index.html.
Related pages and posts:
- 2020 Hepatitis C Medicaid Affinity Group In-Person Convening: Summary and Highlights
- Nine States Join the 2020 Hepatitis C Medicaid Affinity Group