Health Information Technology
Health information technology (health IT) involves the processing, storage, and exchange of health information in an electronic environment. Widespread use of health IT within the health care industry will improve the quality of health care, prevent medical errors, reduce health care costs, increase administrative efficiencies, decrease paperwork, and expand access to affordable health care. It is imperative that the privacy and security of electronic health information be ensured as this information is maintained and transmitted electronically.
With the proliferation and widespread adoption of cloud computing solutions, HIPAA covered entities and business associates are questioning whether and how they can take advantage of cloud computing while complying with regulations protecting the privacy and security of electronic protected health information (ePHI). HHS has developed guidance to assist such entities, including cloud services providers (CSPs), in understanding their HIPAA obligations.
HIPAA Privacy Components of the Privacy and Security Toolkit
The materials below are the HIPAA privacy components of the Privacy and Security Toolkit developed in conjunction with the Office of the National Coordinator. The Privacy and Security Toolkit implements the principles in The Nationwide Privacy and Security Framework for Electronic Exchange of Individually Identifiable Health Information (Privacy and Security Framework). These guidance documents discuss how the Privacy Rule can facilitate the electronic exchange of health information.
- Privacy and Security Framework: Introduction
- Privacy and Security Framework: Correction Principle and FAQs
- Privacy and Security Framework: Openness and Transparency Principle and FAQs
- Privacy and Security Framework: Individual Choice Principle and FAQs
- Privacy and Security Framework: Collection, Use, and Disclosure Limitation Principle and FAQs
- Privacy and Security Framework: Safeguards Principle and FAQs
- Privacy and Security Framework: Accountability Principle and FAQs
Learn more about the Privacy and Security Framework and view other documents in the Privacy and Security Toolkit, as well as other health information technology resources.