Please note: This lesson will take approximately 45 minutes to complete. Use the next and previous buttons to advance through the course. You will be able to print a completion certificate for your records at the end of this training. OHRP does not collect information about who accesses it.
Do not refresh your browser window. Refreshing your browser will restart the lesson.
Purpose of this Lesson
This lesson will explain the purpose and membership requirements of Institutional Review Boards, or IRBs. This lesson focuses on the Revised Common Rule (or 2018 Requirements) that became effective in 2018.
This lesson contains four parts:
- Part 1: Institutional Review Boards
- Part 2: Human Research Protection Programs
- Part 3: Single IRBs
You will answer quiz questions throughout each part to test your knowledge. A correct response is required to advance in the lesson.
After completing this lesson, you will be able to:
- Identify the purpose of IRBs.
- Describe the membership requirements of IRBs.
- Identify the role of human research protection program (HRPP) offices.
- Describe the importance of relying on single IRBs to approve research.